Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I have been trying to get divorced since April 2015. The

Customer Question

I have been trying to get divorced since April 2015. The court granted my degree absolute July 2016. I then got a letter in November 2016 from the court saying they do not have jurisdiction to go ahead with my divorce. I have since had to start my divorce application from the start and am now struggling to get information from the court. I need some advice on what to do.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. Are you able to attach the decree absolute and the court letter using the paperclip or + icon?

Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi, yes I have attached both letters for you.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Thank you for confirming. The problem you had with the divorce is that it was pursued in the first year of marriage. In the first year of marriage you cannot seek a divorce and can only apply for a divorce after 1 year since the marriage has elapsed. If that has now happened you can pursue a new divorce petition - please confirm what advice you seek?

In the meantime if you found my information provided helpful please could provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks but I already knew that. The problem I have, is that since I sent the court my new petition in beginning February I have not been able to get any information about my petition on what is going on, I have not had any feed back from them. No one is taking responsibility for the mistake the court made by granting my divorce.
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for elaborating - I would suggest you contact the court by telephone and also send them an email asking for clarification.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have called them and emailed them and they are not getting back to me, I have also sent them a lot of letters
Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

I am afraid that this is the only process that you can follow - you should ensure that all your correspondence clearly have your contact details and address, as well as the case name and case number.

Expert:  Harris replied 2 months ago.

Hi, this question remains open. If you found my information provided helpful please could you rate my response positively using the stars at the top of this page as I will not be credited for my response without a positive rating. You will not be charged for providing a rating.