29905560

I had appointed a builder to build ground floor extension

Customer Question

I had appointed a builder to build ground floor extension and loft extension to my house last summer. He has finished 60% of this job but not built according to approved plans. The council has opposed the build and the builder has now run off without helping to remediate the building works. He has already taken more than 60% of payment for the build.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

What is your specific question in relation to this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
for Ben Jones
I had appointed a builder to build ground floor extension and loft extension to my house last summer. He has finished 60% of this job but not built according to approved plans. The council has opposed the build and the builder has now run off without helping to remediate the building works. He hasalready taken more than 60% of payment for the build.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what should be my next step with regards ***** ***** claim in the court
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

OK, thank you. Please can you tell me whether the builder was trading as a business or as a private individual? Also, what contact information do you have for him?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
He was trading as a business. I have the individual's phone no and registered office address
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will prepare my advice in a while and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

Many thanks for your patience. When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

· Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

Substandard work - the trader should either redo the parts of the work which are inadequate or perform the whole service again at no extra cost to the customer. This must be done within a reasonable time and without causing significant inconvenience. If this is not possible, you can claim a price reduction, based on the severity of the issues. If they simply refuse to resolve the issues, you can consider getting someone else to rectify the issues and either deduct these costs from the total owed to the original trader, or pursue them for any extra costs that have been incurred.

Please take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow if you are to take this further. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What should be my next step with this builder considering he has not taken responsibility of the unapproved building work and I have already paid him for that?
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 1 month ago.

You can make your position clear to him and that you will not hesitate pursuing him for the return of part of the money paid and/or extra costs which you may have to expend to put this right.

As mentioned, please kindly take a quick second to leave a positive rating for the service so far by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above. I can continue answering follow up questions and in particular can also discuss the steps you need to follow if you are to take this further. There is no extra cost for this - leaving your rating now will not close the question and means we can still continue this discussion. Thank you