Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have a fixed period (1 year) assured shorthand tenancy

I have a fixed period (1 year) assured shorthand tenancy agreement that is due for renewal by my tenants on the 1st August. However, they would like to renew and I do not wish to do so. Can I just write saying that I do not intend to renew their contracts (providing over 2moths notice) or do I still have to raise an eviction/repossession notice when the contract is naturally coming to an end anyway? All the examples I can find appear to be cases when a landlord wishes to repossess a property early rather than when the contract naturally ends.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

No. You need to serve a S.21 notice.

You need to do it properly and there may be a form for this.

You can read more information at:

https://www.gov.uk/evicting-tenants/section-21-and-section-8-notices

You cant end it early, only when the fixed tenancy ends on 1st August.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.