Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

If I buy land in Dominican rep can I live there

if I buy land in Dominican rep can I live there
Expert:  Buachaill replied 3 months ago.

1. Dear Jean, investment in land in the Dominican Republic is a sound investment if you can ensure you have a good attorney to represent you, as there is a lot of fraud in the duplication of title deeds in the Dominican Republic. It is possible to buy property there irrespective of whether you have the right to live there or not. However, to answer your question, the purchase of land in the Dominican Republic does not of itself give the right to live there. Essentially, there are four grounds upon you can acquire the right to live there if you purchase land there. Firstly, if you are retired and have an income which is sufficient to support yourself. Secondly, if you invest in the Dominican Republic, there is an investor's visa granted. This would suit you if you intend to invest in land. Thirdly, if you are a rentier and own property in the Dominican Republic which is rented out and which earns you an income more than sufficient to live upon. Finally, Dominican Republic law allows for the acquisition of residency if you have family members who are Dominican or if you can show it is necessary for family reunification. Marriage is a ground here which can satisfy this test. The laws are very similar to Spain or other Spanish speaking countries.

2. Please accept or rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.