Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have had an arbitration award which says I have succeeded

I have had an arbitration award which says I have succeeded and am to have my £860 solar panel installation deposit returned and the £120 arbitration legal fee returned to me due to the company failing in their duty of care to me by not providing me with a written contract and written cancellation rights until 2 days before installation and 15 days after the contract was dated. I was told that this was a simple case of a trader issuing a back dated contract which they are not allowed to do and I did not need a solicitor as the arbitration system was clear. However the award said I had failed in my attempt to get a £4K invoice for costs rescinded because I had waived my cancellation rates when I received the contract as the trader had said I needed to sign a certain page of the contract but that was the cancellation of the contract form. I said I could not sign it and get it back to him before the installation so I asked if my e-mail could be taken as my having waived my rights - if that is what he needed me to sign. I was trying to keep the contract on track. Overnight I reflected on the way he had not given me my written cancellation rights and had tricked me into signing the waiver. I took advice and was told that it was a criminal offence to not give cancellation rights in writing and if I cancelled he could not charge me for costs incurred before the written cancellation rights were given to me as the trader should not have done any work until my 14 days cancellation rights had elapsed. The trader then bullied me to rescind my cancellation saying I would face a huge invoice for costs if I did so. However by then I had lost all trust in the company and a couple of days later after taking more advice I cancelled again. Then I got an invoice for £4,000 which the the arbitrator has upheld despite saying the trader had failed in his duty of care towards me. This situation would never have occurred if the company had followed the code of practice and the invoice is vastly inflated demanding £1,000 for computer work which I have told would cost them nothing or less than £50. I have been told all I can do is appeal to The High Court on a point of Law. I do not think the arbitrator understood that when I waived my cancellation rights I did not know what these were. The trader claimed in his defence that my cancellation rights had elapsed before I received my written cancellation rights. He lied about dates and I caught him out and told the arbitrator this was criminal fraud and criminal conspiracy as more than one employee at the firm was involved. The company is claiming inflated rather than reasonable costs. Now I face having to pay £4k to a company who have pressure sold me. I have approached a Solicitor who has said they would charge more than it was worth and it would not be proportionate to engage them. Should I appeal to the High Court and represent myself? What costs would I risk? What grounds could I give for an appeal?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Just to be clear, there is an award from arbitration? Where do these costs come from?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
Thank you. It is a nightmare!
Here below the traders Invoice
I could send you the arbitration award but it is 7 pages.Invoice No:
18282 – TT
Date of Invoice:
01/12/2014
Your Ref:Timesheet Refs:Division:ECOOur Ref:
21632
Vat No:
(###) ###-####54
Site:
LL16 5ND
Description: Contra Charge for cancelled PV Installation
Totals
. 1)  Value of goods returned £4,805.68 handling charge @ 25%
. 2)  Energy Performance certificate
. 3)  Roof survey inc 5 hrs return visit of £50.00 1 hour and 175 miles @0.60p
. 4)  Design of system
. 5)  Aborted installation visit
1,201.42
48.29 355.00 600.00
1,000.00
Nett Total:
3204.71
Vat
640.94
Less Deposit
-840.00
Total Payable:
3,005.65

But you had an award in your favour?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law,
well in part. Here the award paperwork - write me again for the rest please and then I can send it you
Toby
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Dear Toby

Further to the arbitration of the above mentioned matter the arbitrator has now made an Award on the basis of the information submitted by the parties, and accordingly we attach a copy of the Award.

Both parties are reminded of the following;

1.    This arbitration Award is legally binding and enforceable by a court order if necessary.
2.    Unless otherwise directed, any amount Awarded in the Award shall be paid within 15 working days of the dispatch of the Award to the parties. Such payments shall be made direct to the party entitled to receive it, which may include a payment from the customer to Member for outstanding fees.
3.    If either Party wishes to appeal against the Award, leave must be sought from the High Court within 28 days from the publication date of the Award, which is understood as the date of this letter. If you wish to consider such a remedy, then you would be well advised to seek legal advice as soon as possible.  Neither the administrator nor the arbitrator can advise the parties on how to seek leave to appeal. It is not our practice to send copies of the Award by post. However, should enforcement via the courts be required at a later date, an original signed copy of the Award can be provided by CEDR upon request. Please notify RECC promptly if the Award has not been fully complied with within the timeframe set out above, by contacting***@******.***
4.    If no application for an Appeal is made within the time period specified as above, all parties must comply with the terms of this arbitration Award.
5.    Subject to the right of either party to request the administrator to draw the arbitrator’s attention to any accidental slip or omission which s/he has the power to correct by law, neither the administrator nor the arbitrator can enter into correspondence regarding an Award made under the service.

This letter marks the conclusion of the arbitration process.

Kind regards,

Carolina Ferreira
Case Administrator

ApplicationsCEDR Europe's leading independent dispute resolution service: The fast track to resolving differences
How we can help with consumer disputesThen I saw the result! Great I won my case against Firehawk:
AWARD
by M. Coombes Davies B.Sc., B.Arch., Ph.D., RIBA, C.Arb.
An arbitrator appointed by IDRS
under the Independent Arbitration Service for Domestic Consumers (RECC)1 Award date: 10 May 2017
Arbitration Reference: IAS170004 Between Mr Toby Taylor 2 and Firehawk Ltd 3
  The claim is made by the consumer, Mr Toby Taylor, against Firehawk Ltd which is a member 
of the Renewable Energy Consumer Code. 

  The consumer’s claim dated 31 December 2016 is for: 

o The member to return the consumer’s deposit of £840.00 and revoke the outstanding invoice for, ‘£3,005.00’, (sic).
o The member to, ‘examine the behaviour of Mr Gancarz as Contract manager and to explain how what he has done is consistent with that role and RECC Code of Conduct. I would like that this does not happen to anyone else. I would like to know why this has happened to me’, (sic).
  The position of the member is explained in its 28 February 2017 defence which is disputed by the consumer in a reply. 

  The consumer’s claim is in connection with the solar photovoltaic system installed by the member and includes communication problems, warranty/documents not provided, customer service and, ‘Pressure selling by obfuscation on the part of Mr Gancarz. Failure to follow The Consumer Code’, (sic). 

  The member’s position is that it denies liability. Award 

1. The claim succeeds in part. 

2. I AWARD AND DIRECT that: 

1 Also known as the Renewable Energy Consumers’ Consumer Code.
2 Consumer’s address for correspondence: Nant y Grawen, Llansannan, Denbigh, LL16 5ND. 3 Member’s address for correspondence: 6-14 Peel Street. Manchester, M35 0UF.
1
a. The member shall return the consumer’s deposit of £840.00. 

b. The member shall refund the consumer’s registration fee of £120.00. 

Main issues
3. I consider that the main issues in this arbitration are:
a. Whether the member has broken a term of the contract or failed in its duty of care. 

b. Whether the reasons given by the consumer are sufficient to justify the claim. 

Background information
4. In order to succeed in a claim against the member, the consumer must prove on a balance of probabilities that the member has broken either an express or implied term of the agreement which existed between them, or failed in the duty of care which the member owed to the consumer and that as a result of this breach the consumer has suffered some loss or detriment. If no such breach or loss is proved, the member will not be liable. 

5. The consumer and the member are aware of the facts of this case. I do not propose to recount all the facts in the same manner and order as the parties have done in their documents except where it is necessary for the purposes of this award. I have carefully
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
5. The consumer and the member are aware of the facts of this case. I do not propose to recount all the facts in the same manner and order as the parties have done in their documents except where it is necessary for the purposes of this award. I have carefully considered all of the documents submitted by the parties in support of their submissions and presented to me. The parties should also be reassured that if I have not referred to a particular document or matter specifically this should not be taken to mean that I have not considered it in reaching my award. 

6. The arbitration has proceeded on the basis of written argument and evidence. 

7. The seat of the arbitration4 is England and Wales. 

Consumer’s position
8. The consumer’s position is set out at length in his application form, he is generally critical of the actions of the member, its representatives and the accuracy of their records. In summary, on 26 October 2014 the member’s representative telephoned regarding giving him a quote to fit solar panels to his property. The consumer explained that he had already contracted with a local company for £7,500.00, however following discussion he agreed for the representative to visit his home the next day. At 27 October 2014 meeting the representative, amongst other things, presented the member’s product and the consumer cancelled his contract with the local
4 The, ‘seat of the arbitration’, means the jurisdictional seat and under the rules of the RECC Arbitration Service the laws of England and Wales apply to the arbitration.2
company. The representative left the consumer with an, ‘Initial Contract Letter’. The consumer asserts that at his request, the representative specified on the, ‘Initial Contract Letter’, that it was, ‘subject to achieving higher rate TBC by EPC Rate *Urgent*. So it makes no sense to say that my cooling off period had completed by the time of the EPC. It was a condition of the contract and so I could not have knowingly committed to it by 11 November 2014’. The, ‘Initial Contract Letter’, also stated, ‘Our plan and detailed proposal will be forwarded to you in the next few days’. The consumer signed and returned the, ‘Initial Contract Letter’, together with a £840.00 deposit on 28 October 2014 though he mistakenly dated both the cheque and the letter 26 October 2014. On 8 November 2014 an EPC assessment was carried out on the consumer’s house and he was told that he would be able to get a subsidy for fitting the solar panels.
9. There followed further discussions between the parties including, on 12 November 2014, a visit by the consumer to the member’s offices. During the course of the visit the consumer was provided with different information regarding the payback time of the system than that previously given by the member’s representative. At this stage the consumer had never seen or been given his written cancellation rights. As he had, ‘not received any proper paperwork having only been given the initial contract letter and generic brochures to date’, he requested them and was advised they would be provided by email. On 13 November 2014 the consumer sent an email to the member stating that he wanted he wanted to go ahead with the installation on 22 November 2014. The next day the member’s representative carried out a technical survey of the site. 

10. On 18 November 2014 the consumer sent an email to the member insisting he be sent the, ‘full contract paperwork’. On 19 November 2014 the consumer received via e-mail a contract dated 30 October 2014 which contained his written cancellation rights that he had, ‘14 days to cancel from written receipt’. Therefore he believes the 19 November 2014 to be the start of his 14 day cooling off period. 

11. The member apologised for sending the documents late and asked the consumer to sign them. As the documents did not arrive until 19 November 2014, the consumer asserts this, ‘would have been exactly one day after the 14 working day cooling off period would have elapsed after’, 30 October 2014. When he worked this out he lost all faith in the member and cancelled the contract on 20 November 2014. On 21 November 2014 the consumer received an e-mail from the member’s representative that, ‘Your decision to cancel came a week and a half after your cooling off period expired which you are fully aware’. However the consumer asserts that this would mean the cooling off period began, ‘a full week before I posted the initial contract letter and deposit cheque’, to the member. Having been, ‘threatened with large costs’, by the representative and, ‘refused the time to get legal advice’, the consumer agreed to a later installation date but then after receiving legal advice he cancelled again on 25 November 2014. 

3
12. The consumer describes in detail his subsequent contacts with the member. He believes he has been pressurised, threatened and intimidated by the member, which has added to his stress and anxiety levels (the consume

Please just answer the question for me please.

How much did the arbitration award you?
How much did they award them?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
I was awarded £840 deposit back and the arbitration legal fee of £120 and the company were awarded £3,005 as per invoice but presumably plus the £860 for my deposit which I am otherwise getting back. That is what I understand anyway - so my total awrd £960 and their total award £3,965.
Toby
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
3
12. The consumer describes in detail his subsequent contacts with the member. He believes he has been pressurised, threatened and intimidated by the member, which has added to his stress and anxiety levels (the consumer explains his personal medical situation). 

13. The consumer requests that the member return his deposit of £840.00 and revoke the outstanding invoice for, ‘£3,005.00’, (sic). He also requests that the member, ‘examine the behaviour of Mr Gancarz as Contract manager and to explain how what he has done is consistent with that role and RECC Code of Conduct. I would like that this does not happen to anyone else. I would like to know why this has happened to me’, (sic). 

14. The consumer in a very detailed reply, which for brevity is not set out here, takes issue with the member’s defence, highlights the key points of the claim and provides further clarification. 

Member’s position
15. The member’s position is that on 24 October 2014 the member’s representative initially contacted the consumer who signed for a, ‘Solar Edge system with Carbon Zero’, for £7,500.00. On 27 October 2014 the member received a letter with a signed agreement and deposit of £840.00 from the consumer. The member asserts that the 14 day cooling off period commences. On 11 November 2014, ‘following the end of cooling off period’, an EPC was carried out at the property. The following day the consumer and his wife visited the member’s office, they were, ‘invited to cancel even though the 14 days had expired and... (the member) had suffered the expense of an EPC’. On 13 November 2014 the member received an email from the consumer that he wished to proceed with the site survey and agreed an installation date of 22 November 2014. The site survey was conducted on 14 November 2014 and the installation date was confirmed. On 19 November 2014 the member received an email from the consumer that he was looking forward to greeting the installation team and confirming he wished to, ‘proceed even if the 14 day cooling off period hadn’t expired’. However on 20 November 2014 the consumer emailed the member to cancel the installation. On 21 November 2014, during a telephone conversation it appeared the consumer’s reason for cancelling was due to his doubts regarding performance of the system. After the member reassured another installation date was agreed for 26 November 2014. An email was also received by the member from the consumer confirming the new installation date. On 24 November 2014 the consumer asked if he would be charged for a missed appointment, as a gesture of goodwill and as the installation was to proceed the member assured him that no charges would apply. On 25 November 2014 the member received an email from the consumer cancelling the installation.
Arbitrator’s findings and reasons
16. I find that:
4
a. The consumer entered into a contract with the member who agreed it would supply and install a solar photovoltaic system at Nant y Grawen, Llansannan, Denbigh, Conway, LL16 5ND. The total amount for the goods and services was £8,650.00 including VAT as set out on the member’s Quote No: 6702 dated 30 October 2014. The consumer has paid a deposit of £840.00 as confirmed by the member’s 1 December 2014 invoice. 

b. The member’s, ‘Initial Contract Letter’, signed by the consumer and dated 26 October 2014 stated, ‘Thank you for asking Firehawk Solar to provide you with a proposal for a micro generation system. Our plan and detailed proposal will be forwarded to you in the next few days’. The consumer explains that the letter and deposit cheque should have been dated 28 October 2014. However the member confirms receiving the consumer’s deposit of £840.00 on 27 October 2014. 

c. As at 28 October 2014 I am satisfied that the consumer did not have key information in writing from the member. For example, he did not have a full description of the goods and services, including how long any commitment would last on his part, the manner in which the price would be calculated if this could not be determined and when they would be provided to the consumer. Neither did the consumer have written details of his right to cancel including details of who would pay for the cost of returning items if he cancelled and changed his mind. The consumer indicates that, despite his repeated requests, he only received the key written information on 19 November 2014 in the form of the member’s quotation dated 30 October 2014. It stated: 
‘Cancellation Rights
After signing this contract you have a Cooling Off Period of fourteen working days during which you may cancel the contract without penalty. If you cancel within this time, we will return any deposit you may have paid in full. If you cancel after this time, we may have to charge you, based on the actual costs we have incurred by the time you cancel. You must cancel in writing, by post or email, to us at the above address. We have provided a cancellation form with this quotation. We do

Ok - so if you owe them £960 and they owe you £3965 in rief what is the issue today?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
I am sorry I have failed to communicate the reality. It is I who now owe them £3965 and they owe me £960.
here the rest of the award letter:
We do not normally start any work until the end of your 14 working day cooling off period. But if you want us to start work sooner, you must ask for this in writing. If you later decide to cancel the contract within what would otherwise have been your cooling- off period, then you will have to pay reasonable charges for goods and services supplied up to the date that you cancel’. 

d. Therefore I accept the consumer’s submission that his cancellation rights were extended to and began on 19 November 2014. In a 20 November 2014 email the consumer cancelled the installation. On 21 November 2014 after further discussion with the member, the consumer emailed to confirm a new installation date of 26 November 2014. 

5
On 25 November 2014 the consumer emailed a cancellation notice to the member. I am satisfied that the consumer finally cancelled within the fourteen days cooling off period. In terms of the member’s pre-sales/installation activity it is clear from the above and I find that the member did not entirely discharge its duty of care to the consumer.
e. Therefore, having considered all the circumstances I am satisfied that the consumer’s claim is reasonable in respect of his claim that the member return his deposit of £840.00 and I so award. 

f. In respect of the consumer’s claim to revoke the member’s outstanding invoice of, ‘£3,005.00’, (sic) I note that the member’s invoice dated 1 December 2014 is in the sum of £3,005.65. It includes a credit for the consumer’s deposit of £840.00 though I bear in mind that the consumer’s claim is for the deposit to be actually refunded to him. As noted above, the consumer wanted the member to start work sooner than the end of the, ‘14 working day cooling off period’. On 19 November 2014 he had sent an email to the member stating, ‘We look forward to Insatallation from 8am on the 22nd as agreed’, (sic). On 20 November 2014 he wrote to the member, ‘I am writing to you having had the opportunity to absorb the contractual paperwork. I am very sorry to have to tell you that we have decided we cannot go ahead with the installation and wish to cancel the contract’. Yet he confirmed the contract in a 21 November 2014 email to the member and again asked for the member to start work sooner than the end of the cooling off period writing, ‘I look forward to your installing the system on Wednesday the 26th’. He later decided on 25 November 2014 to cancel the contract within what would otherwise have been his cooling off period. Consequently, under the, ‘Cancellation Rights’, the consumer, ‘will have to pay reasonable charges for goods and services supplied up to the date that you cancel’. Therefore (subject to the return of the deposit as set out above) the consumer does not succeed on the element of the claim for revoking the member’s outstanding invoice. 

g. In respect of the consumer’s claim in connection with an employee of the member, it is not within the scope of the scheme to direct the member in terms of internal staff matters. 

Conclusion
17. My conclusion on the main issues is that:
a. The member failed in its duty of care to the consumer. 

b. The reasons given by the consumer are sufficient to justify the claim in part. 

18. Therefore, I direct that the member shall return the consumer’s deposit of £840.00. 6 

19. The scheme rules limit the arbitrator’s discretion to order costs and provide that the arbitrator will award that the member must reimburse the consumer their registration fee if the consumer is successful in their application. Alternatively, the arbitrator may award that the consumer must reimburse all or part of the member’s registration fee where the arbitrator finds that the consumer has acted unreasonably and caused the member unnecessary expense. 

20. In this arbitration the consumer has succeeded. Therefore, I order that the member refunds the consumer’s registration fee of £120.00. 

M. Coombes Davies B.Sc., B.Arch., Ph.D., RIBA, C.Arb. Arbitrator
Made and published at:
IDRS Ltd, International Dispute Resolution Centre,***** London, EC4Y 1EU.
Thanks Toby

So what are you asking? Whether you can appeal the decision?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
please note that it says in the contract term "We do not normally start any work until the end of your 14 working day cooling off period. But if you want us to start work sooner, you must ask for this in writing."
Please note that I received my contract and written cancellation rights on the 19th of November 2014 which is the day the arbitrator said my cancellation rights began and I cancelled on the 20th but was then bullied into agreeing to go ahead again by the con tract manager who said I could not cancel without huge costs - just like has happened - before cancelling once more a few days later after having got more legal advice. My question here is if the company were unable to do work for the cost of which I would be liable before I received my written cancellation rights - why then has the arbitrator allowed costs to be charged to me which were incurred prior to the commencement of my cancellation rights?
Thanks Toby
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
Please see my original question.18 May 2017 02:58
I have had an arbitration award which...
I have had an arbitration award which says I have succeeded and am to have my £860 solar panel installation deposit returned and the £120 arbitration legal fee returned to me due to the company failing in their duty of care to me by not providing me with a written contract and written cancellationrights until 2 days before installation and 15 days after the contract was dated. I was told that this was a simple case of a trader issuing a back dated contract which they are not allowed to do and I did not need a solicitor as the arbitration system was clear. However the award said I had failed in my attempt to get a £4K invoice for costs rescinded because I had waived my cancellation rates when I received the contract as the trader had said I needed to sign a certain page of the contract but that was the cancellation of the contract form. I said I could not sign it and get it back to him before the installation so I asked if my e-mail could be taken as my having waived my rights - if that is what he needed me to sign. I was trying to keep the contract on track. Overnight I reflected on the way he had not given me my written cancellation rights and had tricked me into signing the waiver. I took advice and was told that it was a criminal offence to not give cancellation rights in writing and if I cancelled he could not charge me for costs incurred before the written cancellation rights were given to me as the trader should not have done any work until my 14 days cancellation rights had elapsed. The trader then bullied me to rescind my cancellation saying I would face a huge invoice for costs if I did so. However by then I had lost all trust in the company and a couple of days later after taking more advice I cancelled again. Then I got an invoice for £4,000 which the the arbitrator has upheld despite saying the trader had failed in his duty of care towards me. This situation would never have occurred if the company had followed the code of practice and the invoice is vastly inflated demanding £1,000 for computer work which I have told would cost them nothing or less than £50. I have been told all I can do is appeal to The High Court on a point of Law. I do not think the arbitrator understood that when I waived my cancellation rights I did not know what these were. The trader claimed in his defence that my cancellation rights had elapsed before I received my written cancellation rights. He lied about dates and I caught him out and told the arbitrator this was criminal fraud and criminal conspiracy as more than one employee at the firm was involved. The company is claiming inflated rather than reasonable costs. Now I face having to pay £4k to a company who have pressure sold me. I have approached a Solicitor who has said they would charge more than it was worth and it would not be proportionate to engage them. Should I appeal to the High Court and represent myself? What costs would I risk? What grounds could I give for an appeal?
18 May 2017 02:58
Thanks Toby
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie Law
I feel hugely aggrieved at the award outcome which finds me liable for costs which are both inflated and absurd - not reasonable - and incurred after being abused by the trader in whom I lost trust due to what the arbitrator accepts was a failure of duty of care towards me. In short I backed out of the contract due to the behaviour of the trader but now I am expected to compensate the company for their losses. They are responsible for this entire mess.
Thanks Toby

Does it not say the decision is binding?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
Please see the covering letter to the award which states:
thanks Toby

Ok - if you disagree with the award then you can appeal it.

I would recommend you instruct a barrister to draft the grounds of appeal for you. This would cost you around £250 - £500

Again, I would also suggest that they represent you at the High Court.

You can appeal if:

1) The decision was wrong in law,

2) The decision was wrong in procedure, or

3) The decision was one which no reasonable person could have made.
I think that based on the huge details of what you have put, that you do have an argument to be had to appeal.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
so what I need to know is can I appeal? I certainly feel the outcome is unfair to me. If I can appeal what are the legal grounds? Thanks Toby

Have you read the above?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
What would those grounds to appeal be? I will need time to reflect on what you have said.
Thanks Toby

It would be number 3.

The Arbitrator didnt fully take into account your submissions. It would be on that basis.

They didnt give you written cancellation notice and you were misled.

Its on that basis.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
That is tremendous. Still I would like some time to reflect and see if there is anything else I need to ask you.
Thanks Toby

Indeed. All the best Toby. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
I do not know how to rate your answer but I will find out how to do so and do so. I am new to this site - although I used it a couple of times years ago.
Thanks Toby

Just click the 5 stars at the bottom or happy face.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Jamie-Law
Although I think you answer has been helpful and perhaps I have unreasonable expectations of what to expect I have reflected and realise that I now need to prepare notes for the purpose of instructing a barrister and many questions come to mind or will do. Perhaps I should do that work by myself?
Anyway again many thanks
Toby

I would recommend a public access barrister which you can find at:

www.clerksroomdirect.com

www.mybarrister.co.uk