Harris
Harris, Law Specialist
Experience:  Family Law - Specialist in Divorce, Financial Relief and Children Matters
90234221

I am going to court to gain access to my daughter. I have

I am going to court to gain access to my daughter. I have had a restraining order against me from my ex in the past which is now spent. But just recently she called the police as she found messages on my phone in which I had called her a few choice names. These messages were not to her but a conversation between myself and my mother. In these circumstances would it be worth me engaging a solicitor for the first court hearing or would I be O.K. to be a litigent in person just for the first hearing?
Expert:  Harris replied 6 months ago.

Hi, thank you for your question. I would recommend you try to engage a solicitor for the hearings as if you do not, any negotiations will have to be direct with her or her solicitors, which may not be ideal. A solicitor (or a barrister) can ensure that there is a buffer between you and that the whole process is followed through correctly.

I hope this assists you. If you found this information helpful please provide a positive rating using the stars at the top of this page. I will not be credited for your question without a positive rating. Thank you

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
But isn't it illegal to get messages from other peoples phones without their consent and use them against you? The messages were not sent directly to her but were about her. Also won't the first court hearing be about the Caffcass officers making their reports?
Expert:  Harris replied 6 months ago.

The CAFCASS officer should have a letter in relation to recommendations for the first hearing.

In terms of getting the messages - how did this happen?