Alice H, Solicitor/Partner
Experience:  Partner in national law firm
30932268

A car rental company is charging me 561.73 to repair a

Customer Question

A car rental company is charging me 561.73 to repair a scratch on the car I hired end of April to beginning of May
I acknowledge the scratch occurred when I had the car but don't know how was done
They presented an assessment of the damage but declined to advise me who it was done by
The loss adjuster also concluded that the car would be out service for 3 Days for repairs
The loss adjuster company is a subsidiary of the rental company as I suspect the car repairer is.
They want the money in lieu and will do the repair at a time convienent to them and not provide evidence of the repair being performed.
My question is do I have the right to know who is doing the repairs and is a conflict of interest to have everything in house?
Is it appropriate that they demand money before repairs
They stopped all communication after I indicated that I considered it a right to know who provided the estimate.
They tried to charge my credit card yesterday but I blocked payment and advised credit company accordingly
I am based on USA and was visiting family.
Expert:  Alice H replied 6 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I am happy to help you today.

Expert:  Alice H replied 6 months ago.

The information you are seeking is not unique or unusual and if I was being charged £561 for repairs I too would want to know the exact basis of that fee. This is an issue of contract law and you are very much entitled to know who provided the quote and investigate a conflict of interests. It wouldn't surprise me if the car hire company has a lucrative arrangement with a damage repair workshop. But the bot***** *****ne is that you can ask for the information. You should check the small print of the hire agreement but I'd be very surprised if you're excluded from challenging the cost of repair.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The cost I know is going to be similar who ever does the quote my point is if they own all the entities isn't it a conflict of interest?
Also can they claim monies prior to the repair and not provide evidence of repair
The lost adjuster report had 38 vehicles listed so even conservatively that is say 20000 pounds sitting in their bank earning interest (all be it not a lot!)