Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have rescued a dog who is not as advertised. do i have any

Customer Question

I have rescued a dog who is not as advertised. do i have any legal rights to rehome him if the rescue centre will not take him back?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Could you please explain your situation a little more?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Well we rescued a dog 3 days ago from a local rescue centre. He was advertised as good with children, cats and other dogs. however we have found this to be untrue. he has growled at my son, went to bite him he has attacked my cats and snapped at another dog. The rescue we got him from is reluctant to take him back but has told us that if we rehome him ourselves its classed as theft.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Brilliant thank you

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.