Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

In march this year I took over a small retail business. I

In march this year I took over a small retail business. I received a phone call regarding gas and electricity supply, I shouldn't really of dealt with it then as we were having a mini crisis in the store and was not focused on the telephone conversation. I have ended up in a 3 year contract with Opus energy which I done want . They tell me I have no cooling off period and I cannot get out of the contract. They have now set up 2 D.D one for £74 for gas and one for £550 a month for electric. Is there a way to cancel this contract
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Gloucestershire
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Sorry not sure filed or reported where?
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: I have spoken to them today and they say the £550 D.D is only temporary as I didn't send them a metre reading, which they hadn't asked for
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What does the contract say about termination please?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Just looking through the contract it says you can give us notice at any time between now and the relevant date
I think it is a bit confusing as in among stuff for if you are terminating at the end of the contract

Ok - does it say what the consequence is if you terminate?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The paperwork I have is a statement of renewal terms and has a 30 day notice period but I can't see anything relating to cancelling before the contract ends

OK - so its silent on that? Did they mislead you in any way or was it just agreed in a rush?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
It was agreed in a rush. I did say to the lady that I couldn't deal with it now as I was to busy and couldn't concentrate on what she was saying she was persistent and said just a couple more questions I didn't realise until all the paperwork came through that I had signed into a 3 year deal with the

Its bad news I am afraid - you are bound by the contract, no matter whether or not you have read it.

You are a business and you are deemed to read all terms and conditions

But if the contract says you can end it then you can terminate the contract.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.