How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask F E Smith Your Own Question

F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 9180
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
Type Your Law Question Here...
F E Smith is online now

I own a house which i have to sell as i am about to be

Customer Question

i own a house which i have to sell as i am about to be divorced,in feb 2017 i went to see the tenant and told her of my circumstances and handed her a letter giving her three months notice to be out of the house by june 8th,she hasnt done anything about moving, her tenancy agreement expires on the 31st August 2017,when can i issue a section 21 to her ,her rent has been paid by the council.
Submitted: 11 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  F E Smith replied 11 days ago.

Thank you for your question - she should have left the house on this June on 8th or by 31st August?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
when can i issue a section 21 to her and what happens after that.
Customer: replied 9 days ago.
i have already paid £42 i cannot afford any more ,i htougt i would get good sound advise for that
Expert:  F E Smith replied 9 days ago.

You don’t need to accept the telephone call. The offer comes out automatically. You can take it up you wish or just leave it.

The letter that you gave her is of no legal effect other than to give her a little bit of prior notice/warning that you will be giving her official notice in the form of a section 21 notice at some stage in the future.

You cannot issue a section 21 notice in the first 4 months of the tenancy. Up until October 2015, you could serve it at any time but the law changed. Incidentally, it doesn’t apply if the tenancy is in Wales and you can still serve a section 21 at any time provided (applies in England and Wales) it doesn’t expire before the end of the fixed term.

You have to give her 2 months notice and it must include 2 rental periods and if the notice is one day out, it will be rejected if this gets to court and you will have to start again from day one. For that reason, if you don’t want to potentially fall foul, I would suggest that you gave 3 months notice which you cannot give until the end of the fourth month of the tenancy. You can give 2 months notice if you can work the dates out properly as you see here on page 2. If you think it’s complicated, yes, it is which is why at least 50% of section 21 notices are defective.

Here are some notes on serve in section 21 notices and the dates required:

If she doesn’t move out on the allotted date you then issue court proceedings using form N5B.

if it all goes according to plan, you will then get an order for possession.

If she still doesn’t move out, you make a further application for a warrant for possession using this form:

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. Then press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.


What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice