Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I would like to know whether I can claim compensation due to

Customer Question

I would like to know whether I can claim compensation due to my landlord/estate agent"s failure to protect my tenancy deposit. In September last year I paid £7200 tenancy deposit but have just discovered that only a small proportion of it, £1800, was actually protected under a government backed scheme. I do not know where the balance is being held.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Yes. You are entitled to x3 the deposit.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Will it make any difference to my claim that the landlord/agent did actually protect a proportion of the deposit. The deposit was £7200 but only £1800 was protected

No. It has to be 100% protected.

Does that clarify?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.