F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

My wife is under the impression that she is entitled to %80

Customer Question

Hi my wife is under the impression that she is entitled to %80 of are assets because she is saying it's my fault as I've been depressed I've seen doctors and metal health experts and the have realised me saying I'm better and ready to cope on my own I've tryed to get back with my wife but she just rejects me saying she can't forget what terrible things I've done will this go against me in a divorce I've also gambled and took drugs none of which I'm doing now and tryed to kill myself because I couldn't handle the arguments I'm quite worried about it all her sisters are telling her to take me to the cleaners and I think she's starting to listen to them I'm currently paying the full mortgage the car finance agreement the credit card bills gas and electricity insurance for the house and car council tax and car repairs should I be doing this please could you advise me thanks
Expert:  F E Smith replied 2 months ago.

The amount of money which a spouse gets in the event of divorce is not dependent on blame. The financial split depends on other things such as the assets of each party, the length of the marriage, and whether there are any dependent children along with the requirements of each party to continue with their life after the divorce.

You don’t need to pay the mortgage or the bills of a house that you do not live in although you remain liable to the lender if the house is in joint names and she does not pay the loan. Similarly, if the car is being used by her, but it’s in your name, you have no liability to pay for it within the terms of the marriage although you would remain liable to the lender.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. Then press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.