F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

The rental agency is demanding I pay rent for November

Customer Question

The rental agency is demanding I pay rent for November despite not providing a key until December. The reason for the delay was that they provided an incorrect form to ask the bank for a reference. The bank therefore didn't provide reference until the correct form was provided at the end of November
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 5 months ago.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm ok to keep waiting. How long will it be?
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you. I'm afraid JustAnswer cannot guarantee a time but most questions are answered in a timely manner.
Expert:  F E Smith replied 5 months ago.

I will try to help you with this. You are not responsible for the rent of a property which you are not able to move into.

You are not responsible for the rent until you get the key.

What the agent is trying to do is cover up their own short goings because the landlord will be wanting to know why he doesn’t have rent that month which is, as you state, as a result of the agents shortcomings.

Can I clarify anything else for you?