Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My fiancé is a patient in a hospital with spinal injury and

Customer Question

Hello , my fiancé is a patient in a hospital with spinal injury and after four days we are still waiting for the surgery cause they keep canceling it... what is my legal right in this case?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have they said why please?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Well they say mostly cause they have new emergency every time and since then 4 days past and today again they tell me they won't perform the surgery!! The problem is that my fiancé is in pain the position on his body is the same for the last four days and because of the injury he has problem moving his legs apparently the bone that's broken is pressuring the spinal cord!!! Everyday he stays still and it's harder for him to move or fell his legs...

Can they cancel it - yes sadly they can. If they have higher priority cases then they can postpone it.

There are only so many surgeons and a certain pot of money which makes resources available.

If other priority ones come in then sadly you cant foresee that.

However if you disagree with what they have done you can seek a Judicial review of the decision.
This is where a High Court examines their cancellation and sees whether it is reasonable and legal.

A Court can agree with disagree with their decision and order them to carry out the operation.

For more information on that process please see:

http://www.publiclawproject.org.uk/data/resources/6/PLP_Short_Guide_3_1305.pdf

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.