Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I'm in breach of my lease because I have failed to carry out

Customer Question

I'm in breach of my lease because I have failed to carry out a Warrant of Repair within a timescale specified by the Freeholder. I have a number of mitigating circumstances which has attributed to this situation.
The Freeholder has now engaged the services of a legal firm who have requested the following on behalf of their client:-
1) acknowledge receipt of the letter with 7 days
2) provide a detailed response within 14 days of the date of the letter
3) confirm, pursuant to section 168(2)(b) of the Commonhold and Leasehold Reform Act 2002, that I accept the works are in breach of the above covenants of the lease
4) undertake the works as specified in the Wants of Repaire Notice
5) pay their client's costs
Where do I stand?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

From your reply you admit you failed to carry out repairs?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
They have not been carried out as yet. The intention is to carry them out as the repair is necessary but having already been asked to pay almost a grand in professional fees for investigations and reports that still do not pinpoint what is causing the extensive cracking in my property, I fail to see why I should proceed with repairs with no guarantee that the cracking will not repairs again as it has done once before.

Sadly that is the risk of being a landlord. you have a duty to maintain and sometimes you try one fix and it doesn't work.

But it up to you as landlord, it can be a costly business.

If you haven't carried out the works then you are required to by law.

If you have been reminded and still failed to then sadly you may be liable for legal fees of an upset tenant.

It's up to you and experts to pinpoint a problem. You are required to maintain a property, that is your risk.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Can I clairfy anything for you about this today please?

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.