How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Clare Your Own Question

Clare, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 34021
Experience:  I have been a solicitor in High Street Practice since 1985 with a wide general experience.
Type Your Law Question Here...
Clare is online now

We are thinking of loaning £175k to our son to buy his

Customer Question

We are thinking of loaning £175k to our son to buy his uncle's house he has inherited, the house has been valued at £300k. How can we protect our loan and should we die within 7 years will the loan be subject to inheritance tax.
Submitted: 10 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Clare replied 10 days ago.

Thank you for your question

My name is Clare

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Do you actually ever envisage the loan being repaid?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
a fixed amount every month, he is hoping to rent the property.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 days ago.

Then there are two choices, either ask your son to sign a Declaration of Trust confirming that he holds the property on trust for you both in whatever shares are agreed; or you can have a formal charge over the property - like a second mortgage.

Since it is a loan which is repayable this will not be relevant so fat as Inheritance Tax is concerned the outstanding amount will simply form part of your estate

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Thank you for your reply. We are thinking of legal charge to secure our loan. Would declaration of trust also be advisable? Would you be able to recommend a solicitor to draw up a staight forward charge or can we use legal form con30a ourselves and pass it to our son's solicitors for registration. We will not be charging interest on the loan.
Expert:  Clare replied 9 days ago.

No you do not need both

You can deal with the form yourself if you wish!

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
Final question, my son is single should he get married, the legal charge registered at land registry will protect our loan against third party beneficiary rights.
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I haven't received my response to the above enquiry, are you able to advise me please.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
< Previous | Next >
  • Thank you so much for your help. Your answers were really useful and came back so quickly. Great! Maggie
  • A quick response, a succinct and helpful answer in simple English. I believe I can now confront the counter party with confidence -- worth the 30 bucks! Rick
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C.
  • This expert is wonderful. They truly know what they are talking about, and they actually care about you. They really helped put my nerves at ease. Thank you so much!!!! Alex
  • Thank you for all your help. It is nice to know that this service is here for people like myself, who need answers fast and are not sure who to consult. GP
  • I couldn't be more satisfied! This is the site I will always come to when I need a second opinion. Justin
  • Just let me say that this encounter has been entirely professional and most helpful. I liked that I could ask additional questions and get answered in a very short turn around. Esther

Meet The Experts:

  • Jo C.

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
< Previous | Next >
  • Jo C.'s Avatar

    Jo C.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Over 5 years in practice
  • Ben Jones's Avatar

    Ben Jones

    UK Lawyer

    Satisfied Customers:

    Qualified Solicitor - Please start your question with 'For Ben Jones'
  • Buachaill's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Barrister 17 years experience
  • Max Lowry's Avatar

    Max Lowry


    Satisfied Customers:

    LLB, 10 years post qualification experience
  • UK_Lawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    I am a qualified solicitor and an expert in UK law.
  • Kasare's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Solicitor, 10 yrs plus experience in civil litigation, employment and family law
  • Joshua's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice