F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

We Have a supplier based in UAE -Dubai. We had a supplier

Customer Question

We Have a supplier based in UAE -Dubai.
We had a supplier agreement, and since than the company UAE Bank has been closed, due to some fraudulent activities by staff.
They have recently sent us an Invoice with now South African Bank details, and wish us to pay into that account, when the supply was coming from UAE.
I am dubious to make such a payment, without the proper legalities covered. any advice here would be great
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

Do you trust the company that you are dealing with?

Have you dealt with them before with an order of this size?

Have you spoken to the company and agreed that the bank details you have been given are correct?

Are you confident that it was the company that you spoke to to confirm the bank details?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Not 100% trust, the reason their UAE bank account was closed because there was some fraudulent activity by their staff in UAE.This is the first payment we are making to them, and we feel that were not going to pay the right company, so these invoices may still be legally owed by us to the UAE entity.Can we get a covering letter or something from the UAE company to confirm this, etcThanksIrfan

There have been a lot of scams where communications from solicitors and banks and companies have been hacked and people are sent money to different accounts, believing the communication had come from the real originator whereas in actual fact it had been diverted, the details changed and come from a scammer who had used their own bank account and once there is a big chunk of money in it, they do a runner. Often, there is internal fraud at the bank because the fraudsters do internal account takeover of dormant accounts which it is later unable to identify where the money eventually went.

The golden rule is that if you do not trust a company, then don’t deal with them. Even a relationship with a trust worthy company can go wrong and if it does go wrong, you are faced with suing someone in UAE which is not particularly practical.

I would certainly want to speak to the company and I would want some kind of verification that I was speaking to the company and not a scammer who I’d intercepted the call and I would want them to verify bank details over the telephone.

Finally, I would get my own bank to confirm these bank details are genuine and that they are the details of the company that I am purporting to be dealing with.

Sometimes, even the most robust enquiries get circumvented by the fraudsters

Can I clarify anything else for you.

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. Then press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.