LondonlawyerJ
LondonlawyerJ, Advocate
Experience:  Solicitor with over 15 years experience.
76316425

I was arrested for a unrelated crime which I've now been

Customer Question

I was arrested for a unrelated crime which I've now been released from bail with no charge. During a search of my property and a vehicle which I was not in at the time the police found 2 knuckle dusters in a glove box of the vehicle.
I was then arrested for this offence.
I gave a no comment interview and on my first appearance in court I pleaded not guilty on the grounds I was not aware of them being in the van or that I knew about them.
They have never been brandished and I wasn't in the vehicle at the time. I have no previous for violence and have said other people had access to the van but no one is willing to say they did.
How do I stand just saying I didn't know they was even in the van.
Expert:  LondonlawyerJ replied 3 months ago.

Hello. I am solicitor with over 20 years experience I will try to answer this for you.

I assume you have been charged with having with you in a public lace an offensive weapon. The facts you have described amount to a defence. Whether it will be successful depends on whether you are believed by the court or not. If you are a man of good character and if you can find someone to say that they have seen other people using your van then you are more likely to be OK. Is your van used for work? If so, what is your work?

Is the case to be tried in the magistrates or the Crown court? Do you have a solicitor? You certainly need one.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The case is being heard in a Magistrates court.
I currently don't have a solicitor so I will have to arrange that.
I'm a blind installer and it was in my work van that they was found in a little compartment under the steering wheel.
I have no previous but they was found during a seizure of cash by HMRC which is mentioned in the paperwork.
Although I've recievied no charge for that it does my character no favours.

No convictions = good character in a criminal court.

You have a defence whether it will work is hard to say. You must get a solicitor and quickly.