12826847

I need some advice please I have been arranging events and

Customer Question

Hi, I need some advice please
I have been arranging events and due to serious financial hardship and stupidity I have spend some of the money paid by people to attend the event on personal bills.
I have recently claim bankruptcy, I am a single mother to 5 children ranging from 1 to 9, 2 2 of which are seriously mentally handicapped. I have self confessed at the police station as I felt so bad. I have cancelled the events and begun paying people back, but it will take me about 2 years. It is for £65,000 over 12 months. I never even realised it was that much.
I have no previous convictions and am normally of good character, I have a lot of mental health problems which I struggle with in the form of OCD and anxiety following sexual abuse as a teenager, I haven't dealt with these correctly, and I am a complete mess all around. I should not have done this.
Can you please give me an indication of the type of sentence I will receive, I don't know if my sons especially will cope if I am not around.
Louise
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I apologise for the bad typing, I am a mess.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Hi - so no one has made allegations against you? and how are you paying this back please?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, no one has made allegations against me, I have gone and handed myself in voluntarily. I work and also I have sold a lot of things I own.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Things that we not subject to my bankruptcy order and I have recently gone bankrupt and no order has been made on my income yet, they will be doing this in 4 months according to my OR.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Are you being prosecuted?

how are they doing that without complaints?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have given all of the evidence, so I guess I will be charged. If I am, how long a sentence could I get?
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have made a statement.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I have done something wrong, so I deserve to be charged.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

Well, lots of people should be charged for lots of things.

Women who continually waste resources on their stupid allegations should be given wasting police time fines but they are not.

Have you been charged?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Not yet. I am not wasting police time, I have done something wrong, and I need to face the consequences of that. I thought I was doing the right thing, obviously not.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

No, it was a disastrous mistake. We never admit offences. But you have done it now so we can't go back and we have to deal with it.

What have the police said?

Are you on bail?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
They have not charged me yet no. What I really want to know is that if I am charged, what kind of sentence am I looking, I am scared for my children and especially my boys and yes I should have thought of that first. Please if there is no constructive advice that you can give me please do say.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 13 days ago.

I think it is quite unlikely that you will be charged.

At least, not with £65,000. They have no complainants.

The reality is that some may come forward and some won't.

Quite apart from anything else, I wonder how they will prove that you didn't intend to repay.

In any event, if you are convicted of fraud in breach of trust in the sum of £65k then I'm afraid a custodial sentence is fairly inevitable. You could try to pitch for a suspended sentence but it is not likely to succeed.

However, the chances that would happen are pretty low. At the very least it will be nothing like that amount.