Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I was a guarantor on an invoice discounting finance deal

Customer Question

I was a guarantor on an invoice discounting finance deal with Lloyds Commercial Finance for a limited company with two other directors. I subsequently left the co, resigned as a director/shareholder etc and informed the bank that I wish to be removed as a guarantor in writing. They failed to remove me and the co 1 year after I left was liquidated leaving 37k outstanding - I received a Stat Demand for the full amount - would I be liable?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did they ever say they would remove you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
No they didn't and I didn't get any reply despite sending two letters and being told they wouldn't do anything on the telephone
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I had no control over what was happening to the business after I left and the 37k owed was by firms of solicitors so it couldn't not be paid as it was all legal aid work.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Lloyds have now served me with a stat demand and are hinting at bankruptcy proceedings, which are currently on hold to enable me to send a statement of affairs. I don't have any assets, I'm self employed with a low income.

Its bad news I am afraid. Even if you have no control, you have signed a PG.
This means you are personally liable for any and all debts UNLESS you have been released.

As you do not I am sorry to say you are liable. You should have made sure the bank agreed to release you and this was in writing.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.