Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Few days ago my car breakdown while travelling in Europe

Hi there
Few days ago my car breakdown while travelling in Europe with my wife.Needless to say I have Full Europe cover and Breakdown. Theysend someone to toe my car to a garage but they said that the repair it will take 5 days. I phoned the insurance company and I asked them for a replacement car ( even tough they should have said that before I asked) after 8 hra they phone me and says that in order to give me a car I have to have on my debitcard or creditcard €650 for the rental ( some warranty things...just in case I daamage the car). I told then that all the money that I have with me are cash and I don't have enough on card. They said that they will find a solution and they will give me a phone call asap. that never happened, they phoned me today and in thei said that they are not aware of nothibg conaidering a replacement car. what should I do in this case? I have all the recepits from hotel where I slept this 5 nights. Not to.mention that on the brrakdown cover says that if the car can be fixed in the same day they will give me £150 for housing and food...what would you recomend I should do?
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 2 months ago.
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
It's ok carry on
We will continue to look for a Professional to assist you.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

How much are you out of pocket?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Jamie, sorry for late answer but I had no service on my phone. I'm around £500 out of pocket
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of those costs within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://hmctsformfinder.justice.gov.uk/courtfinder/forms/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Should I send them a receipt with my loses or just tell them? And also the receipt is in the local coin. What should I do?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Just itemise them and use BBC exchange rate.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you very much for your help
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

All the best. If this answers your question could I invite you to rate my answer, 5 stars the happy face before you go today, otherwise the site doesn’t pay me for the time spent with you. Thanks in advance!

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
All the best for you as well. I will rate your answer, no worries
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Thanks very much!