Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

What should be the minimum width of a prescribed right of

Customer Question

what should be the minimum width of a prescribed right of way across someone's land to another piece of land. provate property (garden)
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: South yorkshire
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no nothing. Our neighbour says he has been crossing over for 20 years so has prescribed right of way. we have nothing in the deeds to say this is so?
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 months ago.

There is no exact measurement but for a pedestrian right of way it must be wide enough for a person to pass carrying a load or pushing a bicycle or barrow, so about a metre.

I hope this assists. If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael