Michael Holly
Michael Holly, Solicitor
Experience:  I have 20 years of experience as a solicitor in litigation and other areas
12609314

I have had fraudulent payments made on my Natwest Charge

Customer Question

I have had fraudulent payments made on my Natwest Charge Card [Master Card] the merchant receiving the payments were... Vodafone, Uber, Department of Work & Pensions, TV Licensing, Southern Electric & Dolphin Fitness - These payment accumulate to over £1300.
I Customer have card protection so have and am having the payments refunded, which is great - However, it's now become 100% apparent that it’s my 22 year old daughter who had copied via a telephone photograph the front and back of the card and made the payments to clear her debts over the phone using the photographed card details - This is not the 1st time unfortunately that my daughter has stolen in this kind of fashion and the approximate amount is close to £5000 now despite me paying of over £11000 of her accumulated debt over the last 4 years. Obviously: No more will I settle any debts - I have now with a heavy heart reported this last incident to the Police and left it with them to address, (1) So Natwest do not think I have paid my daughters debts and then falsely claimed it was fraud and I get into trouble & (2) I believe a lesson is needed than I cannot teach her and clearly failed to teach her by being too generous [Consequences] - So... My one question is - although Natwest Fraud department have refunded me - Does the fraudulent payments made to the merchant {ie} Vodafone/Uber/Department of Work & Pensions/TV Licensing/Southern Electric & Dolphin Fitness get reclaimed and the debt is then re-presented to my daughter and is still an active debt to her pay???Best,
Customer
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hello I asked a question and paid for most in depth detail an fasted response @ 16/06/2017 10:21 = Q: = "Hello, I have had fraudulent payments..." and have had nothing by way of a response, may ask why I've not had any answer please? Kindest
Peter Gordon
Expert:  Nicola-mod replied 4 months ago.
Hello Peter,
This was posted in European Law, I am just going to change it to UK Law for you, where hopefully an Expert will be able to help.
Expert:  Michael Holly replied 4 months ago.

Dear Phoebe.

There are 2 possibilities depending on what the police elect to do.

If they decide to prosecute then your daughter will be encouraged to pay back the sum to Nat West. This is so the court can be advised that she has made full reparation , deeply regrets her actions etc. in the plea in mitigation given on her behalf in court so she receives a lighter sentence/ fine.

A fine is the likely outcome if she is prosecuted.

Irrespective of what the police do, Nat West will seek to recover the monies paid on the card protection so if it does not happen through police involvement they will pursue her for it.

I hope this assists. If there are any further points please reply I will be happy to respond.

Kindly rate my answer on the system so I get credit for my time.

Best wishes

Michael