29905560

If I didn't give a notice of cooling off period, after 12

Customer Question

If I didn't give a notice of cooling off period, after 12 months working on the contract is the client entitled to all of the monies paid to me. The contract is to build an extension to his current property.
Expert:  Ben Jones replied 5 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** am a qualified lawyer and I will be assisting you with your question today.

What is the reason for wanting to end the agreement without notice?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Hi Ben
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The client has claimed my work is too slow and not up to standard

OK, thank you for your response. Leave it with me for now and I will review the relevant information and laws and get back to you at the earliest opportunity. There is no need to wait here as you will receive an email when I have responded. Also, please do not respond to this message as it will just push your question to the back of the queue and you may experience unnecessary delays. Thank you.

When a person enters into a contract for work and materials, where the main focus is labour and skill, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 says that the work must be:

· Carried out with reasonable care and skill (to the same standard as any reasonably competent person in that trade or profession)

· Finished within a reasonable time (unless a specific time frame has been agreed)

· Provided at a reasonable cost (unless a specific price has been agreed)

In addition, any information exchanged in communications between the parties, whether written or verbal, is binding if the consumer relies on it. This will include quotations and any promises about timescales or the results to be achieved.

If there are problems with any of the above, the customer will have certain rights:

Delays – if the work has substantially gone over the agreed schedule or not been performed within a reasonable time, they can also ask for a price reduction to cover any financial losses or inconvenience caused as a result. If the work is incomplete and you refuse to work to the agreed schedules it is possible to get someone else to finish it off and charge you for these additional costs. However, it is unlikely the customer can just ask for all money paid to date – they would have derived some benefit from these 12 months’ of works so if you want you to give them that money back then you can say you should be able to get all that work/materials back, which is unlikely to happen. So whilst some compensation may be due f there have been unreasonable delays, it does not mean they can just ask for all aments made so far.

I trust this has answered your query. Please take a second to leave a positive rating by selecting 3, 4 or 5 stars above - this is an important part of our process and recognises the time I have spent assisting you. If you still need me to clarify anything else, please reply on here and I will assist as best as I can. Thank you

Hello, I see you have read my response to your query. Could you please let me know if it has answered your original question? You can either reply on here with a quick ‘Yes, thanks’, or select 3, 4 or 5 stars on this page. I can still answer follow up questions if needed to clarify anything for you. Many thanks

Hello, not sure if you are having trouble seeing my posts? Do you need any further assistance or are you happy with the response to your query? I look forward to hearing from you. Thanks