Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

To Whom it may concern I am awaiting receipt of a document

Customer Question

To Whom it may concernI am awaiting receipt of a document that proves Halfords Autocentre through negligence caused the breakdown and complete write off of my car. This has been verbally confirmed and I have been asked to suggest an amount regarding a settlement amount. I am having trouble coming to a conclusion regarding said amount and would like some advice regarding the range of compensation I could realistically look to receive. Some details regarding expenditure and lost earnings directly related to the car breakdown are detailed below.
Original car worth: £4000.00
Breakdown call out/ general towing fees :~£250.00
Taxis used due to lack of transportation :~£60.00
Extra Car insurance months :~£100.00
Half day holiday to supervise car towing :~£65.00
Legal fees to date :£38.00Kind Regards
***** *****
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How do you know they broke your car Edward?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I demanded an inspection of the vehicle that they carried out themselves. They phoned me last week and confirmed that they were at fault and asked me to come up with an amount for settlement.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say you will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.