Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have moved into a house as a tenant in October 2016. I

Dear Sir/madam
I have moved into a house as a tenant in October 2016. I have rented this place through an agency. According to the agreement with the agency, the initial tenancy is for 6 months, meaning that I can not terminate my tenancy before that. After the 6 months, everything will go on as normal, as I am paying the rent through Direct debit
About 4 days ago, somebody knocked on the door and told my wife that he is coming for a view according to a previous appointment with the agency, and my wife did not let him in and told him that we have not been informed by the agency, and the gentleman went away.
Today, I received an email from the agency saying that there is a person ( a buyer) who wants to come to view the house. When I called them to ask, I was told that this house was offered for sale over the past 3-4 years, and it has been viewed more than once, but not sold, and the current landlord is not desperate to sell urgently. I asked the agent if this would affect my tenancy, and she said that if there was an agreement between the new buyer and the landlord, I may receive a 2 months notice to move out.
The issue is that this information was not passed to me when I rented the house and signed the contract. I was not told that this house was for sale, and this may have affected my decision to rent the house in the first place. And now after everything was stabilized concerning my work and accommodation, I am now at a risk that if an agreement happens, me and my family would be required to move out. I have chosen a school for my daughter based on my address, and now I may have to change everything again. There is no place in the tenancy agreement where it was mentioned that this house is being rented to me when it is for sale. So my question now is: what is the legal situation and what does the law say in this matter??
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Does your agreement allow for viewings please?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
As far As I read, it does not, and I will check again
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Ok - please let me know!

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Unless its more your position with the remainder of the tenancy you are more concerned about?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My question is : how could the agency put the house on the market for sale and rent at the same time. And if this is legally ok, and I rented the house, is it right for the house to still be on sale while I am renting it?
And if all the above was okay, my main issue is that I was not informed that this house was for sale when I started my tenancy. Nobody told me that it is possible that while I live here, a new person may buy the house and I maybe asked to leave. I think I should have been informed, because I may have changed my mind and looked for another house
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
I looked gain in the tenancy agreement. There is a paragraph that says the following:
" During the last two months of the tenancy, upon a minimum of 24 hours prior written notification, to permit the premises to be viewed during working hours and or at other reasonable times including at weekends by prospective tenants or purchasers who are authorized to do so by the landlord or is appointed agent. Except where mutualy agreed otherwise with the tenant, the landlord or his authorised agent or representative will accompany there viewing appointments"
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
my problem is not the viewing itself, my question is mainly, had this house been sold to another landlord, does this mean that I will have to move out??
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
The other thing it mentioned in the start of the paragraph, that this is during the last 2 months of the tenancy. I moved in the house in october 2016, so the 6 months of initial tenancy end in April 2017. I was told that after the 6 months, everything carries on as normal, because the will be receiving th rent through the direct debit.....
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Have you been given notice at all?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
i received an email this morning notifying me that someone wants to view and asking me when would it be possible. So I told them to bring that person with them on Tuesday, as there was a previous appointment with the agency for general inspection. They were supposed to come on Tuesday to check that the house has been maintained in a good shape and so on, so I told them to bring that person with them on Tuesday.....
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

I assume it was October 16 for 6 months?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
but I think this meant that I could not leave the house before 6 months. It was an 'initial term of the tenancy" as written in the contract
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Ok - If that is the case that mean you would only have until March 17?

6 months from October 16......

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
April 2017
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Ok - if its now June, then I assume they can give notice?

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
they can give notice anytime, this is not the issue.
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
My problem if the house is sold to another landlord, am I legally obliged to leave???? just because of the change of the owners??
If the house is sold to a new landlord, but this does not affect my tenancy, then I have no problem.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Yes you would be unless the Landlord takes you on.

BUT you would be entitled to 2 months notice which is what the law requires.

Therefore if it is sold, you would be given notice, or the new Landlord may just let you stay.

But the fact your tenancy ended on April 17 means that you are now on a periodic monthly rolling tenancy.

I am sorry if this is not necessarily the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.

Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience: Solicitor
Customer: replied 6 days ago.
No that is fine,
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 5 days ago.

All the best.