12826847

Can child protection services intervene after prosecution

Can child protection services intervene after prosecution has been established for sex offences
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

Hi - would you like to explain the situation in more detail please

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
my husband was arrested last Sept 2016 for downloading images of children. he went to crown court a few ago. the judge ruled that he was no danger to children and gave him community service and councilling. he is also now registered on sex offenders list. children's protection have not been involved at all. since the hearing they have come to my home and suggested their concerns. they plan to hold a conference in 2 weeks. i am angry that even after judges decision that they can now stop my husband from having access to the children and tell the children what their father has done. it cant be right
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
have you received my last question
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
do you have answer?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

Yes, sorry.

I am sorry but it is bad news

He has a conviction for downloading images. He is plainly a danger. I realise that he himself might not have abused any children but this is plainly a conviction that would give rise to concern.

It might well have been that they should have acted earlier to be consistent but that is an issue of resources.

They are plainly entitled to act Im afraid.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Can we be represented by a family lawyer at the conference
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

Not if this is just a child protection conference.

A court order would be different.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
is it worth having a family solicitor in place?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 5 months ago.

I'm not sure it is right now.

if they actually act against you then it would be but all that is happening now is that it is being discussed.

There are many cases where they do no more than investigate.