Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Dear Mr, Mrs: I am seeking legal advice on a potential case

Dear Mr, Mrs:
I am seeking legal advice on a potential case of internet fraud. Five months ago I subscribed to a UK online dating site for a 3 months trial period. Once I started using the site, I realised it was a scam as all profiles were fake and I tried to unsubscribe as soon as possible. The cancellation process was a nightmare as they try hard to do it for you as difficult as possible (being almost impossible to cancell your account!!). In order to unsubscribe you need to print a form, fill it in and send a fax to Luxemburg (in 2017!!!). I did as requested and sent them the fax. After that I sent them several emails for confirmation on the cancellation but I never got a reply back.
I left it at that point assuming the account was cancelled but yesterday (more than 4 months later), I received a letter from Intrum Justitia (a debt collector agency) saying that I have to pay the site 120 Euros. Apparently the subscription is renewed automatically.
Having done some research online afterwards, the site is clearly a scam and there are many people complaining who have been scammed and threatened by the same site. All of them say they really struggled to cancel the account and that they have been charged money after they stopped using the site.
From what I understand and I’ve read, I have two options:
• Ignore them. Ignore the debt collectors letters, block my email account related to the site and tell my bank not to accept any charges from them.
• Try to contact them to agree a settlement. Not sure about this option as they probably wont reply
Can some one with legal experience please advise on what to do? To what extend is legal what they are doing?
Thanks a lot.
Your help is much appreciated.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Was money taken from your credit card or bank?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Jamie.
No, I only received the letter from the debt collector agent, but no money has been taken from by bank account yet.
Customer: replied 4 months ago.

Ok - ignore it. Cancel your card to make sure they dont take any money out.

They are trying to scam you. You are entitled to a 14 day cooling off period under the Consumer Rights Act 2015.

But they must also make it clear that you are signing up and it renews.

If not then they are in breach. You do not need to make any payments.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** helpful. My only concern is a court action in future. From what I’ve read from previous experiences, they keep sending you letters and emails and they even threat you to go to court. I think they are only trying to fish for money but it is a bit scary.Thanks Jamie. Much appreciated.

Indeed. Dont worry and do not be bullied.

All the best. If I could ask you to rate my answer before you go today, by clicking on the 5 stars or happy face, otherwise the site does not pay me for the time spent with you today. It is also an important part of the online process. Thank you in advance and good luck!