Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

My mum has lived in her council house for the past 58 years.

My mum has lived in her council house for the past 58 years. Now she has new neighbours that have put up a large exstention. They are now saying my mum has taken a foot of their ground near their exstention. however the concrete boundary post is still in place although it is only a foot out of the ground. Because the distance between the two bedroom windows between my mums and theirs are not the same they think the foot differents is theirs. The council must have put up the concrete boundary post when the house was built. Please help many Thanks
Expert:  Buachaill replied 5 months ago.

1. Dear *****, the only way to resolve this dispute without litigation is to have a survey carried by a member of the Royal Institute of Chartered Surveyors to determine where the true boundary line lies. Depending on the survey, you will both then know where the true boundary lies and there will then be no dispute. So, you should first suggest to your neighbour that you agree to have this survey carried out jointly so that the true boundary can be determined, sharing costs jointly. If your neighbour will not agree to this course of action, then you can get one done yourself and send it to your neighbour when you receive it. In this way, the dispute over the boundary can be resolved. Here is a link to the page of the RICS which deals with boundary disputes www.rics.org//es/tag/boundary-disputes/. You can follow the link at the foot of the page to find a surveyor working near you who can carry out the survey. Be aware that the survey will be highly accurate to micro- millimetres.

2. Please accept or rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Buachaill, Barrister
Experience: Barrister 17 years experience
Expert:  Clare replied 5 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I have been a solicitor for more than 35 years

If the property is still owned by the council then the problem is for the council to sort out.

You can download copies of the Land Registry plans and deeds using the portal here

https://www.gov.uk/search-property-information-land-registry

One of the deeds may include measurements which would help.