Buachaill, Barrister
Experience:  Barrister 17 years experience
53108719

How do l get my property back fron tennants l have given

Customer Question

How do l get my property back fron tennants l have given them a notice to quite ten weeks ago but they are still there
Expert:  Buachaill replied 2 months ago.

1. Dear *****, at this stage you need to serve ejectment legal proceedings upon your tenant so that you may recover possession. Essentially, you cannot just go and re-enter the property and throw your tenant's things you. Instead, you need an order of the court ejecting her and giving you possession. This can then be enforced against her if she continues to refuse to leave. Be aware that most tenants once they see court proceedings, they make efforts to move. So, it may simply be a matter of showing that you mean business and will use the court to give you possession. You can seek to do it yourself, but I would recommend you use a solicitor as the area of ejectment law is complicated. Be aware however, that you will almost always have to pay the legal costs of ejectment yourself as most tenants in this situation lack the money to pay the rent, let alone pay off legal costs.

2. Please Accept or Rate the answer as unless you do so your Expert will not receive payment from the website for answering your question.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
To obtain an ejectment order through a solicitor how much should I be expected to pay, and how much if I go to court myself and just pay fees?
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Why can't you answer my previous question

3. You will expect to pay GBP 220 if you do it yourself and just go to court and pay fees. However, as regards ***** ***** I would recommend you get a formal quote from a solicitor before you engage one. The costs will range from GBP 750 to 1500, with some solicitors charging even more.

4. If you are going to do it yourself, I would suggest you speak to someone in Citizens Advice to see if they can guide you legally.