How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jamie-Law Your Own Question
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Category: Law
Satisfied Customers: 4036
Experience:  Solicitor
Type Your Law Question Here...
Jamie-Law is online now

My disabled relatives from Hungary visited us in their

Customer Question

My disabled relatives from Hungary visited us in their specially-adapted minibus. To their dismay, on their return home, they received four penalty notices for entering the low emission zone. They have no means either to understand how to appeal this, or to pay the fine. They were completely oblivious of the low emission zone
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: Law
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is it you want to know about this today please?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
How to help my relatives
Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I'd much prefer to talk, but I've already paid £47. This is beginning to look like a scam
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

Some people prefer to talk but its an extra cost. Or we can keep it online.

Did they not see the very big signs as you enter London saying low emission zone?

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
They had no idea about this.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 16 days ago.

Ok. They can appeal. They must go to:

They can make representations in writing to:

Low Emission Zone
PO Box 342
Darlington DL1 9QB

TFL will then consider the representations and whether or not to uphold the ticket.

If they uphold the ticket they can then appeal to the Adjudicator.

Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
On what grounds can they appeal?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 15 days ago.

I can't see how they can. They can only appeal if:

1) the offence didnt happen

2) the charge was paid

3) not registered keeper

4) vehicle used without consent

5) vehicle hired out

6) charge exceeds permitted amount.

I am sorry if this is not the answer you want, nor the one I want to give you, but I have a duty to be honest.
Can I clarify anything for you about this today please?

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 11 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.