12826847

My dog bit my neighbours dog, I paid the emergency vet bill

Customer Question

My dog bit my neighbours dog, I paid the emergency vet bill of £223pound I did say I will pay the follow on vets fees, it's been 3times to the vets now totalling to£168 pounds I agree to pay this amount also asking for itemised bills and making it my final payment, they then said they are seeking legal advice because I said that I would pay all the vet fees
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

How can I help with this please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi my dog bit a neighbours dog resulting in emergency vet bill of £223pounds I paid the bill for her dog, then 3more visit to the vets for more treatment costing£168 pound I said I will pay and said this is my final payment and asking for itemised recipe they say it's unfair and that I should pay all future bills they say they are taking legal action against me
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

I can do a phone call but I need to know what your question is about this?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
My question is that do they have any legal rights to take me too court I said I will pay the vet fees as of now, but they are wanting me to pay more vet bills I can't keep paying out more money I think that my husband and I have been very fair in paying 223 pounds so far and willing to pay a further £168
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

It depends.

Do you particularly want a phone call?

I can carry on online for the same price without the extra of a phone call?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you ring me on a landline
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Go ahead with your online answer
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hi are we still online
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

It's not an issue of generosity. It is an issue of liability.

In short, if your dog has a history of biting or there was negligence of some other kinds then you are very definitely liable for the full sum of her loss.

That would include future vets bills that relate to the injury caused by your doc.

However if there was no negligence and no history of aggression then you would have a complete defence.

What would have been better is if the initial payment had been in full and final settlements but there is nothing that can be done about that now.

You might find that your house insurance will cover you anyway.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Can you send your answer to my email box please so that I can show it to my husband, my dog has no history of aggression it just ran out my front door and seen the other dog, I am willing to pay £168 but they are saying that I should pay future fees what will be the result in taking me to court
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

I think that it is sent to the site automatically.

I'm afraid though that if your dog ran out your front door and was able to escape then that is probably going to be considered negligence.

I would try to settle this.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I should settle it before they take legal action
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

it depends whether or not you think they will take legal action. I would certainly report it to your house insurers who may cover you.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thanks for your help
Expert:  Jo C. replied 2 months ago.

No problem and all the best.

Remember that I am always available to help with your questions. Even if I am in Court I will usually pick up a question within 12 hours. For future information, please start your question with ‘For Jo C’. You can also bookmark my profile http://www.justanswer.co.uk/law/expert-remus2004/