13262538

I recently looked after m sister's dog and he bit me on the

Customer Question

I recently looked after m sister's dog and he bit me on the face viciously with no provocation. He also didn't growl so I had no warning.
My sister was very upset when she picked the dog up 2 days later.
Once she had left my property with the dog (a French Bulldog who has bitten her ex-boyfriend on the nose a few months ago) she text to inform me the dog was vomiting and could he possibly have got some bones. I had sent her a video of my boyfriend feeding both her dog and my dog some leftover pork from a BBQ we had. My boyfriend gave her dog soft marrow from the pork but not bones.
She has now said her dog insurance has lapsed and she wants me to pay £1,700 in vets bills.
Am I legally obliged to pay her vets bills? I have been told by a beautician that the bites to my nose will probably scar and I'll need treatment to have them rectified.
Thanking you in advance for your help.
Christina
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Thank you for your question

I shall do my best to help you but I need some further information first

Was your dog also ill?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Clare,No my dog was fine.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

Then there is no evidence that he illness has anything to do with your care and you have no liability for the vets bills.

Indeed if you reported the bite she might have difficulty in keeping her dog at all

Please ask if you need further details

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much - that's as I thought.I will probably contact you tomorrow. Is that ok?
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

that is fine

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Thank you so much. :)
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Do you know if I am obliged to report the dog as it has given me a very deep bite and I know it has bitten 2 other people and I don't think my sister is acting responsibly where her dog is concerned. Im worried that it will bite someone else.
Expert:  Clare replied 4 months ago.

You ar enot obliged to do so - and cannot be held to blame if it bites again (unless of course you are caring for it at that time)