Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I have recently been charged £1035 for minor scratches on

I have recently been charged £1035 for minor scratches on one rear/side panel of a hire car, and for on one occasion putting petrol fuel into the diesel tank by mistake. (The AA sorted the latter issue and told me that this was covered on the car hire company's insurance). What type of legal action could I take to establish whether I have been excessively overcharged. And what then ?
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: The car was hired from London HR Airport. I am British, but work overseas
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I made a full report when the car was returned. Following that I received an email acknowledging the damage, pointing out that I had not elected for the collision waver insurance option, and also stating that I would receive a breakdown of the charges incurred. This was last week. I have received no further communication, but the sum of £1035 has been deducted to the company from my credit card
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: Only that the hire company is Europcar, and I understand that they are currently under investigation for overcharging customers on precisely such issues.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 14 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Did you ever get a quote elsewhere for getting the work done?

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
No, nor did Europcar mention that I either could or should do this when I assisted their employee in making a report about the damage. Furthermore, although I cannot remember all the small print details of the Ts & Cs in the rental agreement, I am sure there was nothing mentioning this course of action.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
The reason for my delayed is that I live and work in Saudi Arabia (2 hours ahead in time zones from UK)
That is also why I do not wish to commit to an expensive telephone exchange. What is wrong with skype - apart from the fact that you cannot charge me for it! This begins to look like a scam, with every step 'offering' another expensive service. The questions I want answering are quite simple:
If I took this to court, what do you estimate the likely outcome to be ?Would my legal expenses be paid by the hire company, including the cost of this 'consultation', should I win a decision ?Would there be any other likely benefits from pursuing this action ?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 13 days ago.

No as it's a small claim,these costs are not recoverable.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 7 days ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.