12826847

In November 2016 I paid deposit on a secondhand car, which

Customer Question

In November 2016 I paid deposit on a secondhand car, which because I lost my job I decided not to go ahead with the full purchase. Since then I had contacted the garage and spoken to the salesman and eventually in May this year I was refunded £150. I have constantly phoned them but unfortunately the particular salesman has been off sick and now does not work there. I spoke to someone at the garage this morning and they have told me I won't be getting the remaining £150 back. Are they allowed to do this.
Assistant: Where are you located? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: Bromley, Kent
Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
Assistant: Anything else you want the solicitor to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I clarify - what was the total deposit you put down please?

You mention in May you were refunded £150. You then go on to say that this morning you were told that you would not be gettting the remaining £150 back. Is this the balance of the deposit or the same £150 you were promised a refund of in May but actually never received?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The original deposit was for £300. Following the refund of £150 in May I am still owed £150
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

Many thanks for clarifying. Did you sign anything regarding the deposit as to whether it was refundable or non-refundable? Was anything agreed in this respect over the phone or in person? If so could you advise what it was or what it said?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have already paid £38 I cannot afford to pay a further £44 for a conversation. Not for the sake of £150 back which is already reduced by £38. I am better off to cancel this arrangement.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

No further payment is required - I am not sure why one has been requested-apologies if it has. Of course very happy to continue but if you would prefer not to I quite understand. Please let me know how you would like to proceed.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I would prefer not to proceed
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

No problem. If you contact customer services they can arrange a refund for you. Thanks for trying the service. All the best.