12826847

I am a landlord of 2 properties. My land rent for this half

Customer Question

I am a landlord of 2 properties. My land rent for this half of the year was due 1.4.17. The landlord claims to have sent a single notice on 15.2.17 asking for the rent by first class mail. I did not receive this notice. I first became aware of a problem in June 2017 by which time he had written to both land registry and my lenders. He then sent me a notice of the costs of these letters. totalling about £250 per flat. There was no accompanying invoice of land rent, only invoices for costs of letters to lenders and registry.
I replied that I was surprised by these very costly and defamatory methods. I stated that we were up to date with our rents and would happy met any outstanding rents. Instead of sending or re-sending the invoices stating what we actually owe, he proceeds to instruct lawyers who then added their £670 bill to the amount being being chased.
We have never disputed the landland's rights to rent, only the the method of communication. We are now having a demand of over £1700 being made. The solicitors' latest communication was the first time we have actually seen an invoice for this half of the year and we have duly paid the £100 x2.
could you kindly advise on how we take this matter forward please.
obi ***********
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 6 days ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Have you actually seen proof it was sent?