Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Is it legal for council to issue fines on a supermarket

Is it legal for council to issue fines on a supermarket Carpark! I.e.
The council have removed a smoking bin from our local supermarket Carpark and now have two smoking attendants sitting in a van waiting for someone to throw away a cigarette and issuing them with a £75 fine even if the aforementioned butt end is then picked up and put in a regular bin!
Are they allowed to do this or are they just making quick easy money??
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

Who owns the car park?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't know because there are a few businesses on there!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

Ok - they can only issue a ticket if the waste is disposed of on public land.

If the car park is owned by someone else, ie Tesco the the Council cant issue a ticket.

Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

If this answers your question could I invite you rate my answer 3, 4 or 5 stars before you leave today.

I am only paid for my work on this question if you rate my answer, using the star system at the top of the screen. Please do not forget as it is an important part of the online process! Thank you.

Please bookmark my profile if you wish for future help.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I have since found out the Carpark is owned by an Irish company not the council. I have received a £75 fine by post but will be contesting this as the smoking bin has been removed they are operating on private property even though it's a public space and all the details apart from my address on the ticket are wrong!
Besides the fact I am down as a Mr! The misspelled name he has stated that the offence was on Briercliffe Road (which would be under the council) when I was waiting for my taxi with shopping on Briercliffe Road Shopping Centre Carpark (not even on the car park actually on the edge of pavement area!) but right in the centre of the complex.
How do I word the letter of objection?
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 1 month ago.

You just write and say they dont have jurisdiction, the details are wrong and clearly they cant identify you or have the right person.

Does that clarify?