Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

My Granddaughters I phone was stolen by a so called friend 2

my Granddaughters I phone was stolen by a so called friend 2 months ago. The police were brought into and the girl admitted that she had taken it off my granddaughter. since then we have heard nothing from the police and we do not know if we should employ a solicitor to take the matter to court to recover our property or to be reimbursed for the £700 phone.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 2 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How old is the girl who stole please?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
15/16yrs

Ok - they are under the age of consent so if you get a Solicitor, they would need to have a litigation friend as they are under 18 and you cant issue proceedings directly without having someone act for them.

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.