Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

Grovebury cars repaired my car engine under warranty last

Grovebury cars repaired my car engine under warranty last year, and replaced my clutch at my cost (£400) because they said it was wearing out, was not covered by the warranty, and only had 4-5000 miles of life left in it. I have taken it back several times since to be checked because it smells of burning, and they kept saying they couldn't find a fault. The clutch has now completely failed and they are saying that the slave hydraulic cylinder needs to be replaced and that Kia will not do it under warranty because my car has done 101,000 miles which is past the 100,000 miles warranty. This is despite the fact that my clutch was working prior to them replacing it whilst the car was under warranty, and has not done since. They had my car for 4.5 months last year arguing similarly about warranty, and it is costing me £45 per day for car hire whilst they start all this again!
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

What is the cost of repair please?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
I have been told that it will be in excess of £1000 if I have to pay for it, but no exact quote has been given yet.

You need to write and set out your losses and request they do the work or a refund of that cost within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.

Under the Consumer Rights Act 2015 goods must be fit for purpose, as described and of suitable quality.