Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I purchased a car in Feb 2016 and did a car check. It came

I purchased a car in Feb 2016 and did a car check. It came up clean. I went to sell the car two weeks ago and a different car check company said it was a Total write off loss in 1989.
The first Car check company insists the vehicle is clean, the second car check company will not reveal the insurer's name who declared it was a write off saying they cannot reveal this information under the Data Protection act.
The first car check company says this is nonsense.
Furthermore, the first car check company says its guarantee information is correct is only valid for 12 months, and that by agreeing to terms and conditions I have no come back on them.
I feel that I have acted reasonably to ensure that the car was clean before I parted with cash for it, and entered into a contract with them by buying a car check service from them. This should be fixed in time. Either the information was correct or it was not at the time of purchase.
Can you please advise me who the Ombudsman is for the HPI/Car check industry please.
The Financial Ombudsman put me on to the Motor Ombudsman, who have told me they do not get involved with HPI checks.
Many Thanks
***** *****on
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello Ian my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

That would be the Retail Ombudsman:

https://www.theretailombudsman.org.uk/

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does the data protection act stop HPI Ltd from disclosing the Insurer's name to me?

No. The DPA only applies to individuals. So they cant refuse to tell you who was the insurer as the DPA does not apply to the insurance company.

Does that clarify?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.

Thanks!