F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I am selling a property in Portugal and need to send the

I am selling a property in Portugal and need to send the deeds and supporting documents from the UK to Portugal. Should I buy additional insurance in case the documents go missing?
Expert:  F E Smith replied 3 months ago.

Hello - what would the cover be for exactly?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am concerned that the deeds will go missing in the post so for that eventuality

Forgive me for stating the obvious but make sure you keep copies. You can insure the documents if they are valuable. The Mail service does have that facility although it can’t replace the documents, it can only give you money.

There are 2 services in the UK. There is the fully insured scheme with substantial compensation and there is also the signed for. The first one is tracked, the second one is just signed as being received. It isn’t tracked, it just goes with normal mail. I don’t know what the situation is in Portugal.

If they are really valuable then you might want to use one of the international couriers (instead of the normal mail) UPS or DHL or suchlike which is what my firm does when we send valuable documents abroad. As part of the process, they will ask what the value of the documents is and you pay the premium accordingly. That would be my choice.

Can I clarify anything else for you?

Please take a moment to look at the top right hand corner of the page and rate my service by clicking one of the stars at the top of the screen. It’s important you use the rating service because that gives me credit. It doesn’t just give me a pat on the head! All you need to do is press Submit. Thank you. If you still need any point clarifying, I will still reply because the thread does not close.

Best wishes.

FES.