12826847

A package with 10g of cannabis addressed to my address but

A package with 10g of cannabis addressed to my address but in some other name was intercepted at the post office and I was arrested. There us no other evidence. Am I likely to be found guilty in court?
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Hi - are you saying you did not purchase it?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I did not purchase it. The police took my phones and laptop and iPads but have not found any evidence of orders. The package came from Amsterdam but with no sender details. The police searched my flat with a sniffer dog when I was arrested and found nothing. When I was arrested I gave a no comment interview .
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Why did you give a no comment interview?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
When I was arrested I was in shock and said something like: "I don't understand. I have no friends, I have no enemies. I go from work to flat to work to flat." I have been working on the Isle of Man for 15 months. But I am not a victim in life. I then said "it's all my fault" which is the only thing the pic noted in his notebook. I figured they were only interested in building a case against me and so I thought I won't help them in any way. So I gave a no comment interview.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Do you have any previous matters?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I am 50 years old with no previous convictions. As a CFO of a listed company, I have been suspended from my job pending the outcome. And therevhas been publicity locally on the island and because of my employers statement to the markets, its been reported by the FT and the Telegraph as well. My lawyer on the Isle of Man says my chances of acquittal are 50/50 because the package was addressed to me and because the island is a bit backward and I am big news. I just want get an independent view of my chances of being found not guilty.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

If you haven't been arrested before how did you know about no comment interviews?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
The duty lawyer I asked for at the station explained my choices to me.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Oh I see. It was the advice received.

What did they charge you with?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Production of a class b drug.
Expert:  Jo C. replied 3 months ago.

Well, really it turns upon whether or not there is any doubt that it was ordered by you.

If it was your address that you occupy alone then that is a prima facie case.

Also, the court will look at how it was paid for. That would be an issue. If it points away from you then that is wonderful. If not it is not.

If it is just an address then probably I wouldn't be inclined to plead though. Too much room for things not to go their way.