Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

A friend of mine wanted to renovate his bathroom. He used

A friend of mine wanted to renovate his bathroom.
He used his credit card on a website to buy a software application which cost him £200 from a company based in the UK to help him with the remodelling.
Three weeks after he first downloaded and started to use the application, he discovered that the software was not working correctly was giving him the wrong measurements. The problem was, having relied on the designs, he had already ordered a new bath at a cost of £450, which is too large for the actual bathroom space he will have.
He then decided to contact the company about the issue. They sent him a software patch to fix the problem, but it did not work. He tried to contact them again but they ignored his emails.
Can you please advise how he is protected in this case and under which specific laws, also since he had paid £450 for ordering wrong bath is the company that provided the software liable. Thanks
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you.

Have they accepted they are in error?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Hi Jamie, they have only indirectly acknowledged error by sending a software patch which they said was supposed to fix the problem, which it did not, but they never officially outright said that they committed any fault and have been for the most part unresponsive

You need to write and set out your losses and request a refund of the cost and £450 within 14 days or say will go to Court within 14 days. You should make sure you send this signed delivery and keep a copy.

If they do not refund you then you can issue proceedings in the County Court. You can either do this online at: www.moneyclaim.gov.uk or by completing form N1 http://s3-eu-west-1.amazonaws.com/hmctsformfinder/n1-eng.pdf and take it to your local County Court.

The Court will then issue a claim which a copy will be sent to the Defendant who will have a limited time to defend it, if not you can enter Judgment and enforce.

If the claim is for £10,000 or less it will be a small claim so you will not need legal representation. Over this value you would need representation for trial.