Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

I acted as a Power of Attorney for my late Father and prior

I acted as a Power of Attorney for my late Father and prior to that coming in to effect a joint account was set up between him and I at his local bank where he had his current account. We took this action as he had allowed some people to gain access to his computer via a phone call, he was duped in to thinking they were Microsoft. This advice was given by a firm of solicitors who had drawn up the PoA in 2007 as it would enable bills to paid after his death by myself instead of the Executors who would deal with probate.His pensions were paid in to his current account and they were transferred to the Joint current account where the direct debits took care of the usual bills and cash was available for his use. Linked to this Joint Current Account was a Joint Savers Account where his savings were held.Following his recent death I have been instructed by the executors to transfer all monies held in the accounts to them to deal with probate, however, there is the sale of a house to handle and the removals company to pay to clean the house out eventually, all of which will need paying for, either by myself for free or the executors for a fee.Could you please advise as to whether or not I have to transfer all monies to the executors or not. I can understand the savings being transferred, however, the current account is there to handle costs arising and I feel it would be better for me to retain some money in there.Thanking you in anticipationMark J.
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your father. Could you clarify for me whether al of the monies held in the joint account came from your father or whether any part of the monies were/are your?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
All monies were from my Father
Expert:  Joshua replied 3 months ago.

I apologise for the delay in replying to you. I had to take another phone call. Is it convenient to give you a call now or is there a better time later on?