Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My husband is currently in prison and I am managing his

My husband is currently in prison and I am managing his financial affairs using a Lasting Power of Attorney. With the exception of the one account I am managing, all our financial assets are separate. The house (deeds in my husband's name only) is to be rented and my husband suggested that I take some of the rental money for myself - this means paying myself from the managed account. Would it be better to get this arrangement in the form of a legal document or is sufficient to just have a letter of agreement between my husband and myself, signed by both of us?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Expert:  Joshua replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

1. May I confirm that the house in question is not subject to any confiscation order or any other order to recover property pursuant to your husbnads conviction?
  2. May I ask what sort of figure each month your husband had in mind and whether this was to be for any specific purpose or just for you to use generally?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The house has no mortgage and there are no leans against it at the present time. The house will be rented for approximately 8 years the expected length of incarceration (Historical sexual abuse - before I knew him!)
He suggested all of it but I feel that 50% would be more reasonable. I am not reliant on my husband for income - it would just be because he feels he "owes" me