Jamie-Law
Jamie-Law, Solicitor
Experience:  Solicitor
96104960

I am at having problems with a classic car dealer who, I

Hi, I am at having problems with a classic car dealer who, I feel, did not sell me the car that he had described to me. I saw the car & inspected it visually but all the problems were underneath in the bodywork & mechanicals which I feel he was less than honest in not describing or rectifying fully.
I could take this to the small claims court but it does seem that perhaps the Ombudsman is a better place for a decision.
Which Ombudsman should I approach?
John.
Expert:  Jamie-Law replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is ***** ***** I will help you with this.

How much would you be seeking to claim if it went to Court?

Did the dealer know about the defects but didnt tell you?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
163;4941.96 incl VAT.
Defects: He showed me a month old MOT certificate which had a number of problems on it , all of which he sajd had been rectified.
The car was then put through his workshop with full report prior to being re presented for a fresh MOT.
The report was glowing with no sign of trouble ahead & he decided not to reMOT the car (!?).I presented the car to my well respected expert dealer up here in Yorkshire for some minor work but was quickly told that there were numerous undeclared faults with the car such that the car was re presented for MOT by ourselves in order to find out exactly what the situation was.
I informed the dealer that this was what we were doing & that my garage would be rectifying the problems found with the bill coming to the dealer who had sold the car (the car by this stage was in bits so not returnable, the original dealer made no suggestion to return the car to them or to give me my money back).When the work was completed to the standard that it should have been (the car is now worth no more than the price that I paid originally so there is no case of going overboard with the work), I sent all the pictorial evidence prepared by the repairers, plus the sellers original report on the car etc etc, but the dealer is not playing ball.

I will call shortly.