Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

If a man has served 2 years for a criminal offence, can he

If a man has served 2 years for a criminal offence, can he become a Copany Director of a private company. If so does he need to disclose the fact?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

May I ask if any disqualification order was made as part of the sentencing?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Not that I know of
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think a call is necessary
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

Thanks. A criminal conviction is not a bar in itself to being a company director. People can be disqualified from being a director for periods by failing to comply with the Companies Act requirements to file accounts etc trading a company knowing the company to be insolvent, if they become bankrupt and so on. Being convicted of a crime is not a bar to being a director unless any sentence includes a disqualification order which will be time limited in any event so even if one is made that person will be eligible to be a director again once the disqualification falls away.

It is possible to check the disqualification register here:

https://www.gov.uk/search-the-register-of-disqualified-company-directors

Does the above answer all your questions? If it does, I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click a rating for my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** have to declare it before he's elected?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

No. To be come a director there is just a simple form to fill in and there is no requirement (or space) to declare a criminal conviction.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/appoint-a-director-ap01

Does the above answer all your questions or is there anything I can clarify or help you with any further?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you you've been most helpful.
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

A pleasure. Glad I could help.