F E Smith
F E Smith, Advocate
Experience:  I have been practising for 30 years.
18203470

I need advice on loans it's not for me it's my daughter in

I need advice on loans it's not for me it's my daughter in law she doesn't know which way to turn my son has left her in one big mess financially
Expert:  F E Smith replied 28 days ago.

Hello - what do you need to know please?

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
My son and daughter in law took out a joint loan together they both signed the joint loan contract. My son has taken out an IVA I think that's right on the loan because he defaulted and didn't tell my daughter in law that he had taken out the IVA, know one knew this so what I need to know is, how can he have taken out the IVA on the loan which I may say is £20,000 with only his signature I thought a joint loan meant that you couldn't do anything without the other persons signature surely I'm no expert in this matter but to me it sound illegal can you help please as the company now want the full amount from my daughter in law
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Can you please answer the question thank you