Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My father in law has just died and has left 2 sons (one

My father in law has just died and has left 2 sons (one being my husband). He owned a house along with his still living wife but he change the terms of the ownership of the house so that he owned 50% and she owned 50%. His wife is in a care home and is not expected to come out of it. In the will he has given his sons equal shares of his proportion of the house (so 25% each).
However my brother in law needs somewhere to move to and is looking to move into this house until he can afford to purchase again. He is looking to make changes to the house e.g. new bathroom/kitchen and keep up the maintenance of it on behalf of his mum. Is my husband entitled to rent for his 25% of it?
Also as 50% of the house technically belongs to my mother in law but no money is to change hands as don’t want to change mother in laws financial circumstances, when she dies is my husband entitled to his portion of her entitlement which my brother in law has been getting the benefit of for the period of her life?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Please accept my condolences for the loss of your father in law. Could you tell me does your FIL's will provide for a life interest in the property for hiw wife (your MIL)?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you he was a retired police officer so she will get a widows pension which 50% and this with her own pension covers her care bills
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

Goot to speak with you. If I can be of any further assistance please do get back in touch. All the best