Joshua, Lawyer
Experience:  LL.B (Hons), Higher Prof. Dip. Law & Practice
35043042

My mother died in July 2017. Six years ago she gifted

My mother died in July 2017. Six years ago she gifted £113,000 to me. The total value of her estate, including this gift, is £182,000. Will I have to pay inheritance tax?
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

Hello and thank you for your question. I will be very pleased to assist you. I'm a practising lawyer in England with over 10 years experience.

Please accept my condolences for your loss. May I clarify for the avoidance of doubt your mothers estate was made up principally of £113K gift to you and a balance of circa £69K totalling circa £182K? I.e. there was no other significant asset such as a house?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
That is correct. There is no other asset. The total of the estate is £182K
Expert:  Joshua replied 2 months ago.

Many thanks for the confirmation. On these facts there will be no inheritance tax due on your mothers estate and consequently no tax due by you on the gift you received from your mother which will be tax free.

Does the above answer all your questions? If it does, I should be very grateful if you would kindly take a moment to click a rating for my service to you today. Your feedback is important to me. If there is anything else I can help with please reply back to me though